What Movies Have You Seen Recently?

i rewatched trolls 3 again i pirated the 1080p version for now but im making space for the 4k ultra resolution ver teehee

while i was watching twitter found a drop of some new unseen behind the scenes content!

The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea
This movie was a mixed bag. The story has some repeating beats to the first movie about the kid wanting to go in a different realm but having parents overprotective about it, though the new icy area is a cool touch. (Not kidding pun actually wasn't intended.) Melody is fine and has enough spunk, one can sympathize with her reasoning considering how long Ariel hid everything from her. In terms of the returning characters it is kinda mixed, Ariel and Triton are in character and written with taste, and Eric is fine if a bit underused/bland here, and as characters are some of the reason why when the movie does try to take itself seriously it generally feels natural; not all of the serious moments don't feel like they're trying to add funny in too much. However, Scuttle is not funny in this movie, and Sebastian has some funny by themselves/on paper lines about getting older but they start to get grating when he mentions it over and over, and his being mopey starts to become much in the movie. At least Morgana is actually fairly good of a villain; they do a good job contrasting her with Ursula in that while she is not always as polished/slightly more wacky she still has some calculating and intimidating moments. The climax feels surprisingly high stakes with a lot of the characters involved facing physical or emotional powerlessness, with Morgana's smackdown towards Melody being especially brutal; I like that in the movie in general it focuses more on Morgana getting Melody to trust her personally than Ursula to Ariel in the first movie. Undertow is a fun new touch too as a minion with how his running gag of wanting to be more powerful is executed which like everything else I won't spoil. I don't quite like Tip or Dash as much; they aren't as memorable as the villains in that they can feel a bit much like Timon and Pumbaa, though Tip is a bit more cynical than Timon. At least they have some interesting slapstick occasionally. The soundtrack is okay; the duet between Ariel and Melody is pretty good and the ending song is decent but the other songs are meh. The animation isn't good much; aside from some good colors the frame rate is much worse and the characters can really look off-model.

So yeah about exactly as much good as bad in the movie. If you love the Little Mermaid movie and are interested in watching this one I won't say don't, but you might not like it or you might. At least that's… closer to being a recommendation than I could give Mulan II which I watched last year, which is my generally both my least favorite of the DTV Disney Sequels currently and my least favorite animated movie I've seen this decade. (Mushu-yikes!)
Though I watched this a little ways after watching Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken, I realized it's also derivative of this movie with how similar its villain's plan is to Morgana's involving manipulation through playing the misunderstood friend. My opinion of the movie was already starting to weaken considering it's also extremely derivative of Turning Red, especially since that's maybe my favorite movie I've seen this decade actually, but thinking about how much is recycled from this movie too really amplifies it.

Back