Independent Nintendo Wikis

Archaic

Goomba
Hello all. Rath suggested I post this in here, so go lynch him if this is the wrong place for it, or if I shouldn't have been posting it. ;)

My name is Liam Pomfret, a.k.a. “Archaic”. I’m the webmaster of Pokémon fan site Bulbagarden.net. We operate the Bulbapedia, and are the founders of the Encyclopaediae Pokémonis network, currently including Pokémon wikis across 7 languages.

Following a recent affiliation request I’ve received from ZeldaWiki with our own Bulbapedia (which I understand you received as well), I’ve been prompted to investigate the possibility of creating a larger network of independent fan wikis (ie. Not affiliated with Wikipedia or Wikia) around the Nintendo franchises, in much the same vein as the Encyclopaediae Pokémonis network we’ve already formed amongst different language Pokémon wiki’s. At this point, the ZeldaWiki people have indicated their interest in our project, and we were wondering if you'd be interested in hopping aboard also.

With the experiences all of our wikis have had with Wikia, experiences shared by so many other wikis and fan groups, I’m convinced that long term there needs to be some kind of bulwark out there against Wikia and similar operators. While I’m certainly not anti-corporate (kind of hard to be when you teach business to undergrads for a living), I do feel that the meddling in the operation of our fan communities by the essentially faceless managers at Wikia really needs to be stopped. The main reason people seem to go to Wikia is because they lack the funds or technical expertise to operate such large communities. A network of the independents co-operating however may allow us to assist up and coming communities out there, offering each other technical advice and assistance, and perhaps also being able to give smaller groups a leg up with getting advertising going so they can financially support themselves, particularly if we’re able to organize something in the future for collective bargaining with advertising agencies. Us geeks, nerds and assorted misfits need to stick together, right?

While we haven't firmed up any specifics yet, our initial thoughts was that we'd initially be doing something like what we have with Encyclopaediae Pokémonis. The box we have there at the bottom of our front page on Bulbapedia, inter-wiki linking where appropriate, pages about the individual wikis on each wiki, and a central portal website like this one - http://www.encyclopaediae-pokemonis.org.

How would everyone here feel about such an arrangement?

Re: Independant Nintendo Wikis

Well, I'm not exactly sure. We don't really have any problems with Wikia, and we have alot more users and stuff then the Mario Wikias. I'm not a sysop or an admin though, you should get thier thoughts on the idea.

We are discussing it between admins, it seems like a great suggestion. I see the users like it, which makes it better, but, as we all know, Steve has the final word..........

I've been asked a quick question over PM, so I'll answer that here as well, to save him some time of relaying my response. ^^;;

Would this network have the same roster of admins on each wiki, or would they remain as they are now? And what about the rules/guidelines of each wiki? Would the rules have to be the same on each wiki?
What we're suggesting would not involve any changes or interference in the internal policies of any Wiki which joined the network, with the sole exception that as a condition of continuing membership in the network, any member wiki should not join to Wikia, or some other similar hosted wiki service like Wikidot, where the wiki would no longer maintain its independence.

There may also be a possibility for having a central forum for staff of each wiki only, located on a central portal site like I mentioned earlier, allowing us to co-ordinate and communicate for any collaborative projects the network might work on. However, participation in any of those projects would be purely up to the staff of each wiki, and there would not be any sort of requirement for a member wiki to participate in those to maintain membership.

Archaic said:
I've been asked a quick question over PM, so I'll answer that here as well, to save him some time of relaying my response. ^^;;

Would this network have the same roster of admins on each wiki, or would they remain as they are now? And what about the rules/guidelines of each wiki? Would the rules have to be the same on each wiki?
What we're suggesting would not involve any changes or interference in the internal policies of any Wiki which joined the network, with the sole exception that as a condition of continuing membership in the network, any member wiki should not join to Wikia, or some other similar hosted wiki service like Wikidot, where the wiki would no longer maintain its independence.

There may also be a possibility for having a central forum for staff of each wiki only, located on a central portal site like I mentioned earlier, allowing us to co-ordinate and communicate for any collaborative projects the network might work on. However, participation in any of those projects would be purely up to the staff of each wiki, and there would not be any sort of requirement for a member wiki to participate in those to maintain membership.
I like that. I will tell Steve to check tihs

I'm in your IRC channels currently BTW, if you wanted to ask me any further questions. Also on AIM, MSN, and Skype. ^^;

AT ARCHAIC: It would be good to talk with Steve (Porplemontage) essentially about this. You can send out a message on his user's talk page at Mariowiki.

I've already been talking with him via PM here on these forums. Was hoping he'd be on AIM, some other messenger, or even in IRC, but I haven't been able to catch him for a conversation in those yet.

Super Paper Mario Bros. said:
Not to derail the conversation, but I think this topic should be made sticky, as it is relatively important, no?
Good point. I'll replace the DSi XL Contest's spot with this. It's far more important.

You can usually find him in #Mariowiki, when he is online. Also, some sysops are found in #mwikitalk, just in case you need sysops :)

I had been looking on both, but no one was around. Then again, it was around 10pm+...^^;;

Hello again MarioWikians! I'm from ZeldaWiki.org. My main reason for supporting Liam's proposal for ZeldaWiki to get involved is so that the staffs of all 3 wikis can get together. Some complex bit of coding, or new template might be easily understood by one other wiki's member. We could spend much less time struggling with that kind of thing.

Another point, is that Wikia's plagiarizing children simply can't be dealt with; and Wikia virtually ignores it. The proposal will create a very strong alliance. ZeldaWiki plans to support it by creating a navigation bar to jump to Bulbapedia and SuperMarioWiki at the footer of the layout. Being independent, we can all decide how or whether or not that will be done on our own sites.

The group is in the works, and we'd like you to help shape what it becomes. Right now, we are laying it all out, then we'll see what can be done from there.

=/

porplemontage said:
Sorry I haven't been around. I really can't collaborate with you guys on this thing. It's just not a big priority for me right now. So when you get it going you can come to me with the details and I'll decide if I want the wiki to join.

Thanks,
Steve

People of the MW, We should do something, we must convince Steve. this is beneficial for everyone. WE can convince him, we are the wiki.

I have to admit, I have no idea what Steve wants to know. He keeps asking for details, and we've given him everything. He hasn't even talked to me directly in a chat yet, only through PM's, so it's difficult to try explaining things to him and keep him in the loop. This isn't something that could be established without Super Mario Wiki. There's only 3 major independent Nintendo wiki's out there currently. Bulbapedia, ZeldaWiki, and you guys. We also happen to represent the 3 biggest and best known Nintendo franchises. This whole thing doesn't get off the ground without us all getting involved from the beginning.

Mr. Bean said:
People of the MW, We should do something, we must convince Steve. this is beneficial for everyone. WE can convince him, we are the wiki.
We can try, but I don't want to be too forceful with him. It is his wiki, so it's understandable that he gets the final say.

Though, I do think that this project "not being a priority" is a silly reason to not take part in it. (Sorry, Steve; it's just how I feel.) Just because something isn't a priority, doesn't necessarily mean it won't be beneficial. Doing this would define us as an independent Nintendo wiki that has no intentions of selling out; I know Steve has no intentions of selling out now, but doing this would solidify that. It would also make us (along with Bulbapedia and ZeldaWiki) look like a more professional and responsible site, since we would all be caring enough to make sure that our wiki is the best it can be. Having policies that accept only official information and professional writing is one thing; being noted as a wiki that won't be a sellout is just one more thing to make us a better place. Plus, it could expand the communities between all three wikis taking part in this, which could bring in more members/contributors.

Mr. Bean said:
Don't say it like that, Tucayo. It reminds me too much of something else.

Steve is probabilly trying to think it over. Give him time. Besides, there could be problems with your idea that you don't currently see. I don't see any yet though myself. He's probabilly analizing what all the outcomes could be.

Mr. Bean said:
Chill, buddy. He initially said he didn't see anything wrong with it, so I don't think he's against it, he's likely just taking his time.

Also:
Super Paper Mario Bros. said:
Not to derail the conversation, but I think this topic should be made sticky, as it is relatively important, no?
(Who unstickied it?)

Blur said:
Though, I do think that this project "not being a priority" is a silly reason to not take part in it. (Sorry, Steve; it's just how I feel.) Just because something isn't a priority, doesn't necessarily mean it won't be beneficial. Doing this would define us as an independent Nintendo wiki that has no intentions of selling out; I know Steve has no intentions of selling out now, but doing this would solidify that. It would also make us (along with Bulbapedia and ZeldaWiki) look like a more professional and responsible site, since we would all be caring enough to make sure that our wiki is the best it can be. Having policies that accept only official information and professional writing is one thing; being noted as a wiki that won't be a sellout is just one more thing to make us a better place. Plus, it could expand the communities between all three wikis taking part in this, which could bring in more members/contributors.

If it isn't his priority, that is fine, and we have no right to complain about his decision in that point. However, then he should at least allow the people who do see this matter as their priority to do the hard work.

We can, and we are prepared to take the burden from him, up to a point where he has to do absolutely nothing. All he has to do is to simply agree.

Edofenrir said:
We can, and we are prepared to take the burden from him, up to a point where he has to do absolutely nothing. All he has to do is to simply agree.
I remember when some users tried to do that for Steve before with the wiki itself. It got to the point they tried to get Steve to give them the "keycode of the wiki" or whatever it was, annoyed Steve, and ended looking like a cult. We should probabilly just let Steve decide most, if not all, of it himself. :-\

Nerdy Guy said:
Edofenrir said:
I remember when some users tried to do that for Steve before with the wiki itself. It got to the point they tried to get Steve to give them the "keycode of the wiki" or whatever it was, annoyed Steve, and ended looking like a cult. We should probabilly just let Steve decide most, if not all, of it himself. :-\

It's a simple affiliation we're talking about, not gaining more power. It doesn't even come close to be potentially harmful for the wiki.

Nerdy Guy said:
Edofenrir said:
Well firstly, we don't need the holy grail "keycode", and he doesn't have to do anything besides approve. We'd be doing all/most of the work, and if porple decides that he wants to disband from the alliance, I guess we have no choice, but at this point he just hasn't given an answer; He hasn't completely denied the request.

Back